my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just Sit Down

Today's Running Goal: ONLY 2.5 miles
Accomplished: 2.5 miles in 29:55 (11:57 miles)
Great time! And I love that I saw it as ONLY 2.5 miles. A few weeks ago that was more than I could accomplish, and now it was just a measly warm up for what's coming later this week. I had the day off and the weather was beautiful. So I went over to my mom's house and ran around the neighborhood with Hannah. It was warmer than it had been on our previous walks and the sun was out, but there was a great breeze. We ran 2.25 miles without any hesitation, but I could see that Hannah was starting to lag behind. I figured I could get her excited to finish the last lap with no problems. Just then, she pulled over into a shady yard and put on the breaks. She was exhausted. So we sat in the shade for 3 minutes to catch our breath and then finished the last .25 miles. So although technically I had a break too, and I am more than sure I could have finished it. And I was making good time the entire way through. In fact, I didn't even sprint to the finish, since I didn't want my dog to have a heart-attack. Looks like I need to get her in better shape as well. Overall though, it was a great run. I am planning on waking up early Thursday morning and running two miles with her before work (I'm dog-sitting this week, so I will be at her house anyway!) It really makes me wish that I had my own dog to run with. But then I think about how sad Hannah would be if she wasn't my number one running partner.

Then after that thirty minute workout, I went to the Library Spelling Bee and ate a healthy chicken wrap and a big serving of fries. Oh yeah, and two oatmeal bars that my mom had sitting around the house. When will I get this eating under control? At least I had diet soda, which is way better than the Margaritas that I wish I was having.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You and the margaritas.... have you ever looked into low calorie margarita recipes? Just a thought. I'm sure the ones you get at restaurants are bad, but maybe you could get your fix at least part of the time at home with a healthier version.

Karrie said...

Hungry Girl has a recipe for a low calorie margartia (100 calories a glass compared to 350ish normally). I think I will buy the ingredients and try it.