my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, April 24, 2009

Guess I'm Sick

As the day progressed I came to the realization that I was not just sore and achy from running this morning, but instead I am coming down with a cold. And I hate this feeling more than anything, because I don't want to be sick; I don't want to slow down; I don't want to postpone my life to get better. But there is nothing I can do about it, except take some pills to mask the pains, and get lots of sleep. However, it's 3am right now and I can't sleep. I went to bed early tonight, slept about 3 hours (10:30 to 1:30) and then I was wide awake. I should probably get back to sleep now. I have an early morning on Friday and a long day of work training to sit through.

Butts and Guts was a hard class. There were several times when I couldn't do all the moves the instructor wanted us to do. Steven taught the class; he isn't my favorite. And I absolutely hate when an instructor expects us to do more than they do. When they spend more of the class telling us what to do and walking around the room I am not motivated. What motivates me is that Marika is working out five times harder than I ever could. I am inspired by her energy and ability. I just resent teachers who give up but expect me to keep going. They should have called the class Butts, Guts and Thighs. I think I spent more time working my quads doing squats than I did my rear. And the majority of the class was abs, which is fine, but not exactly what I was hoping for. Perhaps if you keep taking it week after week they concentrate on various things. I do think that my legs and abs will be sore tomorrow. They were sore when I left class, and even more sore by the time I went to bed. Maybe the cold medicine will mask that pain too! I would definitely go back. I will have to consider the benefits of changing my work schedule begining in June. I don't really want to be tied to the gym three nights a week in the summer. Especially since I will have to work the fourth night of the week. I have to have a life you know. Although, if you assume that I do not have a life, I might as well be spending my free time in the gym.

I am taking Friday off from the gym. I need some time to recuperate from this cold, or at least prevent it from getting any worse. And it's looking like I will need to sleep on Friday evening, since I'm not doing it right now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you shake this cold soon - at least you were planning to miss Monday at the gym for soccer games anyway, so you won't be losing anything and you'll be able to recover - unless this weather causes the games to be cancelled....