my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working 9-5

My job has taken over my life. I hate that I don't control when I work, but that the needs of the public dictate when I have to put in my eight hours. I hate that I have to work Thursday nights now and never, ever get to go to BodyPump then. So in order to get to three BodyPumps in a week I have to wake up at 6am on Fridays. In general I hate that I work nights and weekends, I mean this is my career, not my high school job. I hate that I can only get to one Combat a week. And last night I decided I absolutely L-O-V-E Combat... more on that later. And I hate that certain people at my job, who will remain nameless, take advantage of their superiority to change the schedule whenever possible and work as little as possible. I on the other hand try to use my superiority to inspire change and hard work! (I am even posting this blog on my lunch break.) Well, I have decided that I have had enough of it. I have plenty of vacation time. I am going to start using it in wise chunks. If I ask to take two hour off on Wednesday afternoons, I will be able to go to the 4:30 Combat class. If I come in 1 hour late on Saturday mornings I can make it to the morning Pump class. These things are important. I don't have a family, I don't have kids, I'm not in school and therefore it is assumed I have no obligations. But I am making my health my obligation. So today, I am taking a half-hour lunch break and leaving at 5:30. I will get to the gym in time to do at least 40 minutes of cardio before I have to go to BodyPump. I am using no vacation time, just a little creative rearranging. And look at the great results.

Now onto how I am in love with Combat. I have never enjoyed sweating so much. I can seriously just feel the fat melting off of me with each jump, or jab or kick. I have gotten better at the moves each week and even though there are times when I am a tad lost, I pretty much pick everything up right away. My moves have gotten better, harder, more forceful and although I am always tight in my shoulders the next day, I am not sore. My heart rate is up the entire time but I never feel like I am not going to make it. Yesterday, even the jumping lunges seemed easier. And I love the track where you run up to the mirror and do belly rips before running backward. Oh, I just can't say enough good things about it. That is why I am going to try to use my vacation to make it to more Wednesday afternoon sessions. I don't love the instructor for the afternoon class and none of my friends will be there, but hopefully the sweat will keep me going.

No comments: