my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Injury

Have I mentioned that I have hurt myself. A few weeks ago, during Combat, I noticed that my left leg really hurt when I was doing all the knee lifts. You know the ones: where you take the intruder's head and pound your knee into their groin/stomach! Yeah, those are fun! But it was hurting the connection between my own groin area and my leg. More like the muscle on the very top of my thigh. Over the next couple of weeks I would feel a pain if I crossed the leg, or made other slight movements, but not often. Then last week during Combat, I had to quit doing the knee lifts altogether on that side, there seemed to be so many. This new launched didn't have quite as many and I was able to make it through them all, even though I could totally feel it. Since then, I have been in pain. Lifting that leg up to my body for any reason (to cross my legs, to tie my shoe, to put on socks, to examine my pretty toes) HURTS. I am trying to find a stretch that will help it. Until then, I might need to take a break. Not from the class, just from the left knee lifts! In further Kickboxing news. I am going to get other DVDs from the library and try to do one per week. Eventually I will find one that is as great as Combat. Right? Does anyone want to share anything about Tae Bo? I've never tried it; but if someone has, please comment on it's effectiveness.

This morning I met Erin at the gym. I used the Elliptical machine (set to Gluteal) for 30 minutes. I don't know if it was the humidity or the fact that I was working pretty hard, but I worked up quite a sweat. Then we moved over to the treadmill where I ran/walked for 30 minutes. I only did 1-minute running, 2-minute walking segments, but I made myself do them at 11-minute miles (pretty fast for me). It also had me sweating quite a bit, but by this time, we had rounded up a couple of fans. This puts me at 4.5 hours of working out this week. I am going to let myself and my left thigh muscle take tomorrow off. But I will be back at it Saturday morning for BodyPump!

No comments: