my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kickboxing at Home

By the miracle of technology I tried something new tonight. I checked out Fat Burning Kickboxing for Dummies from the library. It's on DVD and allows me to do Kickboxing in the confort of my own living room. I am torn about whether or not I want to add it to my routine.
Pros:
- Saves me 30 minutes of gym travel.
- I can do it at anytime. No more waiting until Monday night every week.
- Uses all the same moves as Combat.
- Privacy. Two words: Naked Kickboxing! Well, or just a sports bra and shorts.
- I get my own living room fan all to myself.
Cons:
- Only 40 minutes long. What am I going to do for the other 20 minutes? I added 5 minutes of ab-work tonight, but still...
- I don't sweat as much and probably don't burn as many calories.
- No running or sprinting or punching bag work.
- The music totally sucked.
- It's hard to shuffle forward four steps when my living room is only three steps wide.
- No cute gay instructor to keep me motivated.

Tonight I was able to make it into an hour workout because I went through the 15 minute tutorial at the beginning. Even though everything was review from Combat, it was good to see the punches and the kicks broken down into steps. Although I am still confused about the difference between a Roundhouse kick and a side kick. Especially since the DVD does Roundhouses to the side and not the front.

Anyway, I have gotten a good start to my workout week. Of course I went to Combat on Monday. Then on Tuesday I went to my normal Pump class only to find two different instructors. And never did they mention where Mary was. The nice thing about two instructors was that Ryan walked around and made sure everyone had the right form. Three days of lunges in a row pretty much had me dead on the floor. But I love adding the step. It takes it up just the notch I need. Then Erin and I stayed after for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Mixed with tonight's at-home workout and the fact that I am meeting Erin at the gym in the morning, leaves me well ahead for the week. Which is a good thing because Jennifer and I are trying to finish out our Dining Cards (which expire in August) so we are doing a lot of eating out.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think you should become a writer... you're blogs are always well written and witty. Maybe it's you organization and how you break things down into pros and cons of things and lists... I'm sure you've been told you're a good writer before, but I thought I'd say it again.

Anonymous said...

You admit that he's gay!!!!! You could turn your blog into a book - remember how you want to be like that Jen author girl and get paid to write about your health.... Maybe it could be your new hobby.

Karrie said...

Thanks! I go to a lot of work to make my blogs seem interesting, so I am glad you are taking notice. But in general, it's just my charming self showing through!!!