my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Yay, We did the 5k

Running Friends! After it was all over.

When I went to bed late last night I was dreading it. When I woke up this morning at 6am I was dreading it. When I heard that it was pouring rain I was dreading it. When I got on the weather channel website and saw that it was supposed to rain until 5:00 this evening I was sure that I wouldn't have to do it; I don't run in the rain. When Jennifer and I were there forty minutes early and our friends were no where to be seen I was thinking they were skipping out on me. But as I was running it, it was perfect. Jennifer and I had made a playlist last night. We knew we were supposed to run the first five songs (17 minutes) then we could walk for one song (4 minutes) run two more (7 minutes) walk a long one (5 minutes) run one last one and sprint until the finish. Everything went according to plan, well, unless you consider the fact that I was still tying on Amy's chip when the cannon went off, and we started at least 30 seconds behind everyone and my IPod was playing a book on CD and not my running playlist and I couldn't get it to change until I just stopped running and fixed it. Everything else went according to plan. I had absolutely NO pain. No bursting ovaries. No side-aches. After about 10 minutes of running I had to slow down to catch my breath because I realized I was running too fast. At about 3k, Jennifer pointed out a pile of vomit that seriously made me nauseous. The weather was perfectly cool and overcast with only a few sprinkles. The route was boring but nice and flat. I shaved about two minutes off my finishing time, from when I did it last October. We came in somewhere between 38 and 39 minutes. Official times will be posted tomorrow, and since we started 30 seconds late, we need those official times. It was fun. Did I just say that? I am really happy that Brandy talked us into doing it, and that Amy was willing to run on her vacation and that Jennifer was more than happy to run and walk when I needed too. Thanks guys!

What we were doing when the race started!


Jennifer and I waiting for the race to begin!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am totally impressed with you guys! I wish I had been there (well, only sort of). I went to Combat/Pump... the 5k might have been less exhausting (and a quarter of the time!). Way to go! Have fun tonight at the reunion... Hope it's more fun than mine was!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything except when you said it was perfect as you were running it. While I will admit that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, since I absolutely hated any running at all that I had ever done in the past, and the most I had run was 1 mile, not 3.1, I wouldn't go so far to say it was perfect - or even that it was fun. The run wasn't really perfect, but the before and after, and even some parts of during the run were fun. Man, I think I might have enjoyed the experience - who would have thought I'd ever enjoy anything involving running....

Karrie said...

WHAT!!!!?????!!! Did she just say she ENJOYED THE EXPERIENCE?