my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, August 15, 2008

Summer Olympics

Michael Phelps! Is it wrong to hate him? Just a little bit? Sure he's a great athlete. Sure, he has dedicated his life to something and has made himself the best in he world. Yeah, that's great and all... but it's not like he's the all time best athlete in the world. Just because he's won more gold medals than anyone else; maybe he should try a different sport. Like Gymnastics. There's only one medal to be had there. Let's see him do all those routines and come out with only one thing to show for it. Or not! And just because he had a pool as a boy. Some of us didn't grow up with pools, and it's pretty hard to become an Olympic Athlete this late in the game. And part of me hates him because he eats 12,000 calories a day. That is six times the average man. That is ten days worth for me. I'm hungry too Michael.

It seems all I do lately is watch the Olympics. They are addicting. In a car wreck kind of way. They don't inspire me. I watched starving women run a 10K tonight in under 30 minutes. Jennifer pointed out that was twice the distance we went last weekend and almost ten minutes faster. That's not inspiration. I want to see real people. I want to see real competition. Remember when Tanya Harding's posse took out Nancy Kerrigan's knee? Now that's what the Olympics are about. Rivalry. I can spend an hour watching Badminton. An hour I could be working out, but instead I sit and stare. I can't stop. I can't look away. History is being made. Someone might fall out of their canoe, or win a race by the length of a fingernail, or God-forbid, hit their head on a diving board. And I want to be watching. But I also want to be inspired. Perhaps that 41 year old swimmer who quit sports to have a family and is now back at it and is twice as old as her competitors could be my inspiration? When is she on again? And why are you allowed to be so fat when you throw a shot-put? Don't tell me that is muscle. It's fat. Those are the guys drinking beer the night before their event. Maybe that's a sport I could excel at.

2 comments:

Karrie said...

Okay, I think I found a roll model: Kari Walsh of the women's sand-volleyball team. She is superbuff and curvy (without being waif-ish). AND when asked who was the better individual player, her or her partner Misty May, she said: "That is a horrible questions. We need each other. We are both great players, but together we're outstanding!" Gotta love that team-spirit. That's what the Olympics are all about too.

Karrie said...

Okay, I was wrong. Apparently there are individual medals in gymnastics. Shawn Johnson has won three (all silvers). And apparently the women's volleyball team is devout republicans and let George Bush slap their asses and therefore might not be so great of role models.