my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, August 3, 2008

It's Official

We're going to run a 5k next Saturday. Since some of my high school friends will be back for our high school reunion, we thought we'd do something fun and out of the ordinary. So Jennifer, Brandy, Amy and I are going to run this race next Saturday at 8am. Amy is worried about the direct sunlight (that she doesn't have in Atlanta), Jennifer is worried about being left in the dust (because she never runs), and I am worried about the fact that I hate running and I am wondering why we are bothering to do this. But, it will be a great way to celebrate the start of our High school reunion day. And it will make us all look healthier when the actual event comes around later in the day.

I had a great workout day today. I woke up early enough to do Combat at home. I made it through about 45 minutes of the class, then I was so tired I skipped ahead to abs, thinking I would finish up after I caught my breath. I never did; finish that is, I did eventually catch my breath. Then after lunch Jennifer and I went to the gym so she could try to run 3.1 miles. She has never run that far in her life. But she is a fast learner, and she did just fine. We ran the first mile at 5.0 mph. Then we walked/ran the next two miles and then sprinted the last .1o mile at 6.5 mph. I didn't feel like I pushed myself a lot, but I did have both ovaries hurting at one point. I think I ate too much for lunch and then ran too soon afterwards. It took us 41 minutes that way, about a 13 minute mile. That's the speed I did last fall, and I really want to do better this time around. We might have to try to walk less, or run faster. Either way, I figure the crowd will push us. I think we will want to give it one more trial run on Wednesday or Thursday.

I only got six hours of workout time in this week. The weather has been so hot, and I have been pretty busy. I did earn 3 more points in my CWE, taking me up to 20. I only have to get 10 more before the end of August. I should be able to handle that! I have a great week coming up. I work a half-day on Wednesday and then I have a 4-day weekend. This should allow me to get plenty of working out done. Also, my out of town friends are coming back for our reunion, so we should be having some fun times. Hopefully the working out can make up for the fun-ness!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am worried about the fact that I hate running and I am wondering why we are bothering to do this."

I can't believe you said this - that sounds more like me than you. Actually I don't really care about it taking me forever to finish the 5K, it's more about how I hate running and pretty much exactly what you said above. Good to know none of us know exactly why we are doing this.

Anonymous said...

It's good for us! And when will we ever get to run a race with Amy again. Unless we go to Atlanta and run one with her in October. We should ask her about that!

Anonymous said...

I don't know about running on my vacation.... Although at least if I know it's coming I could run it more than once before the date of the race, that might be good.

yeah, yeah exercise is good. I know. I just didn't see myself running a race by choice EVER. I hardly see myself running by choice, period. Maybe this experience will change my attitude on running forever.