my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, August 25, 2008

Wrong Direction

I didn't even want to post my weight this morning because I am so embarrassed by it, but then I realized that is even more reason to post it on here. It was up to 20 pounds, three pounds higher than last Monday. I am so mad at myself. At least I understand why it is so high. I haven't been writing down what I eat. I have been eating out all the time. I ate 2.5 brownies the other night, and a piece of cake at my mom's house. I have to stop. This week won't be much better. I have plans to eat out a lot and I am going to the state fair. But starting September 1st I am going to starve those pounds off.

I woke up this morning to very sore calves. I am not sure what caused this since I tried several new things yesterday. It probably wasn't the hill running because I have done that before and don't remember my calves ever hurting from it. But there were a few times during the hills that I made myself pick up my knees more than usual, so perhaps that could have done it. Then there was the recumbent bike that Brandy and I used at the gym yesterday morning. I rarely used those and we actually had it working right, so it could have used my calves more than normal. My best guess is that new AMT machine. Whatever it was, I want to use it again and again. I have never found something that would wear out my calves before.

Jennifer and I had today off from work. It's lovely to have three-day weekends. And I figure the more Mondays I take vacation, the less people can call in sick. So we went for a bike ride this morning. We were gone about 40 minutes when my knee really started hurting. I think I did something to it on the first hill out of our neighborhood. I had to get off and walk a few times because it hurt to pedal. It still hurts a little even now, but I am hoping that it will go away without any problems. I would hate to hurt myself permanently on some silly bike ride.

Oh, and I meant to give a small shout-out to the weight machines. Yesterday I had muscles that were sore. My triceps and back muscles definitely got a workout in the weight room on Saturday. This gives me even more motivation to attend (punch card) classes twice a week and make myself use the weight room once a week. There are muscles that I am not using in BodyPump or at least not as much. Maybe that weight room will end up being good for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad it would take twice as long in the weight room to get close to the same results as Body Pump - or at least it seems that way. Maybe we'll figure it out, but I'm just not quite as positive about the whole situation as you are - not yet anyway. Then again, when was I , even before the gym turned crappy, I guess some things never change.