my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Emergency Stop

Today was the first day that I actually missed class. I wouldn't have been bale to go to any until this morning anyway, so this is when I actually felt it. Without a class there is nothing that gets me to the gym at a certain time. Jennifer doesn't like to get up to go to the gym earlier than she gets up for work. And getting her there at 9am was always a challenge anyway. So I agreed that we could sleep in a little today and go slightly later. It helped that Brandy was going, so she called when she was on her way. I need more people like that, who I can't bail out on or convince to go later. I had hoped to run a 5k this morning, going at a 13-mile pace (pretty easy, but still good practice). It was going alright. The gym was warm even though I had 1/3 of a fan on me. Hardly anyone was there (looks like they solved their parking problem!) but I struggled none the less. After a mile I let myself walk a little, then I walked a little more after two miles. Somewhere around 2.5 miles Brandy had to go home, so Elijah came over to say goodbye. As I turned to talk to him I hit the emergency stop button and all was lost. I just couldn't bring myself to continue, I didn't even know how far I had gone. I just gave up. It doesn't help that I have a bad attitude about the gym right now.


Then Jennifer and I (and it just so happens my BodyPump friend Mary) went up to the women's weight room to figure out a good weight routine. I was pretty impressed. I was able to do tire myself with the weight machines. I added 50 lunges and a little ab work on the floor and called it a workout. The hardest thing to maintain will be my squat abilities. I can't find a machine to do that, and the body bars only go up to 18 pounds. I need to be able to put 40-50 pounds on my back. I will probably have to brave the men's weight room someday. I did three sets of ten reps; how does everybody feel about that? I always skip the weight lifting articles in my magazines, I thought I had it all figured out! Here are the weights I used. I am posting them here so I can see if I improve in the next few months. I wonder how much I lifted when I used to use the machines three-years ago.
  • Shoulders- 75 pounds
  • Back - 48 pounds
  • Chest - 37 pounds
  • Quads - 62.5 pounds
  • Hamstrings - 40 pounds
  • Triceps - 40 pounds
  • Biceps - 25 pounds
  • Reverse Back/Chest Machine - 50 pounds

Our Pump friend Mary, who is friends with the instructors says that Marika is going to teach Saturday classes (combat, pump) in Omaha. That's you Jen! I will be eager to see how you like her. I am 50% torn between her good teaching ability and her vanity. A few of the teachers are also moving over to Goodyear fitness, which is super close to my place of employment. Although I am not sure if I want to actually join (they are giving discounts to Gold's members right now) I am interested in their punch card option. For $60 you can get a 15 punch card. Then I could continue to workout at my mean gym with plenty of parking and still take a few classes each week at Goodyear. Still, if I went to classes three times a week, at $4 a time, that's $48 per month. I might as well belong to another gym for that. I could just go twice a week and take a few classes each time! I will have to check into it.

No comments: