my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Shock It to Rock It

I read this expression in a magazine this morning and I knew it was a sign. I have been at a plateau for the last three months. It is time I try something different and shock my body into shape. And I am trying to see this horrific shake-up of my workout routine as just the jolt I need to try something new. For the next eight weeks I am going to be working on running a lot (four times a week). I am in the process of revamping my eight-week running plan, now that the classes will all have to be erased. This will get me in perfect form to run that 5k in Atlanta. I will also be including some fun cardio, such as a bike ride outside or stair climbing. Of course I still want to work on strength training so I don't lose these awesome muscles I have built. So on Saturday I am going to go into the weight room at they gym. I haven't decided if I can brave the big-men's room yet, or if it will just be the women's weight room. I am going to attempt to fatigue my muscles using the machines and the free weights. I am hoping to come up with a program to do this three times a week. Hopefully I can spend an hour of workout time in there and get my heart rate up some as well.

My gym-induced-depression has impacted my working out quite a bit this week. Monday I did the last Combat class; Tuesday I did the last Pump class. I was too sad afterward to stay for any cardio. Yesterday I ended up working a twelve hour day because of sick workmates. So needless to say, I didn't make it to the gym after that. I made myself go this morning to work on running speed intervals. I did 11-minute miles for one minute and then walked one minute for 30 minutes. There were maintenance men all around me installing new equipment, so it was hard for me to hop on another machine. Also, listening to them put new machines in reminded me of how they were removing the only thing that mattered to me at the gym, which made me nauseous, and I went home after that 30 minutes on the treadmill. I wish I knew some people who would workout with me in Lincoln. I need a reason to go back to the gym. So if anyone wants to schedule some workout dates, let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Losing classes makes people have to take more of a personal effort for fitness - how well does that work for a gym. Maybe they'll lose all their money and a better gym will move in their building, one that does believe in the value of group fitness.