my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Hills, Take Two

Today on my agenda was running hills. That's really something that I have to do outside. Which is why I switched today's planned 5k run with yesterday on the schedule. However, Brandy wanted to meet at the gym this morning and I didn't want to waste an opportunity of partnering up at the gym, so I met her there. With her help we tried out all the new equipment. First, we used the boring new elliptical machines. Nothing different there, except these don't tell you calories burned per minute, which I always kind of liked -- it motivated me. Then we hopped on the new elliptical/stepper/standing bike machines. I wish I knew a name for these. Depending on how you change your stride you go from running to biking to stepping all with little to know impact. All I know is that I was sweating quite a bit, so it must be a good thing. Then we tried out the new bikes. Again, nothing that different, but it's nice to have bikes that actually work again. I didn't feel like my heart/lungs were working very hard but my legs were burning. All that made the hour at the gym fly by.

Then I spent a super-high calorie day with my mom and family members. So about 7:30 I came home from that and went outside to run those hills. I did all four of them this time. I sprinted down at about 8.5 mph and walked back up. It was a total of 2 miles and it took me about 25 minutes. It's not hard to run downhill but my legs sure feel wobbly at the end and I am out of breath and sweaty. It was a beautiful evening though; a cool breeze and little humidity. I love to workout for a half an hour. When you're used to an hour long workout, 30 minutes just flies by. And when I don't have to drive to the gym it's over as soon as it starts. These kind of workouts would be a great thing to add to my morning routine. I just wish I was able to get out of bed on time as it is. Sneaking today's workouts in got me six hours this week. Even with all my depression about the classes I managed to have an alright week. Although, I ate like crap and that's why my scale seems to be moving up. I guess I will have to try harder tomorrow. Someone is going to have to remove the M&Ms from my house though!

4 comments:

Karrie said...

That new machine I spoke of is called an AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer) hence it's ability to move in many directions. Apparently it's all the rage... and one machine cost the amount of one trained BodyPump instructor!

Jen said...

It's sad to lose classes, but it is fun to have a new opportunity to try out new equipment! I miss classes too, even though I can go, I feel like I can't since I'm training for this damn run and it's taking up all my time. And I don't want to blow the whole plan by exhausting myself on other workouts and then not being able to run later. Way to go on the hills. I always planned on doing hills and never did...too scared I guess!

Anonymous said...

Do you really know how much the machine cost, or did you make that up????? And if one machine costs the same, does that mean the cost would be the same in a year or more than that? Usually the info you post is fact, so I'm perplexed about this because I don't know where you would have gotten your info. Help me

Karrie said...

That was not fact. I was passively-agressively showing my disapproval of the gym perchasing new equpiment in lieu of paying instructors. Sorry to confuse you. And just to be clear, not everything I post is fact; just proven opinions!