my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, June 9, 2008

Good and Bad

I have this bad habit of giving up when the week isn't going so well. On my last post I mentioned that I only had to work out for 75 minutes both Saturday and Sunday in order to get my seven hours. Seeing as I had to work both days, that assumed that I would be working out in the evenings. Then, out of nowhere my mom invites me to attend a social outing on Saturday night. I have been so bored and starved for attention the last week or so, that I said yes. This ruined my gym-time. So I took her dog for a walk late at night, but I was wearing flip-flops, so the walk wasn't as hardcore as it could have been. That left two hours I needed to put in Sunday after a busy day of work. Obviously I wasn't about to do two hours, so I told myself I could just do one. But since I wasn't going to get all seven hours I figured I might as well settle for five. Long story short... I never went this weekend.

Today I finally had a half day, where I got off at 1:00. I spent all afternoon running errands and then was really tired. I had contemplated going to BodyPump this evening, but I told myself I could take a nap instead. As I laid there, I realized that weight lifting would make me happier than a nap. So I got myself out of bed and went to class. Marika was subbing for Ann, and it was that horrible super-busy, college-girl class that I blogged about a few months ago. But I am glad I did it. I went light on a lot of tracks, because I was staying for Combat and because Marika has a way of making you work hard no matter how much weight you put on the bar. She is the best, of all the instructors, on ensuring that you always use perfect form, never cheat and push yourself as hard as possible. I was sore for two days after I took her class on Friday. I also plan on going to class tomorrow evening (25 hours later) so I don't want to be too sore. She also does calf-raises, which I really enjoy. Speaking of calves, I remeasured after doing all those raises at home: no difference. But I am going to keep it up, because maybe I am building muscles, and soon it will start spot melting the fat!!!

Brandy and I hit Combat tonight. It was difficult and great as always. I have decided it's the music that makes it so awesome. They have a lot of great upbeat, good songs that they make techno-ish. So I had a great workout day, after a horrible workout weekend. This is a great start to another stressful week. I am working seven days in a row, and then after that, this weekend, I have to go to Columbus for two days to celebrate father's day with dear old dad. He doesn't work out at all, and his dog doesn't even know how to go for walks. AND he buys lots of junk food for when I come to visit. Great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sure make Marika sound like an awesome instructor. Too bad she's pretty much everything I hate - although I'm only going by her looks and attitude. I guess I can't get past that enough to enjoy her class - that and the fact that I've only taken her class once that I remember. I guess I should give her another chance. Hopefully I'll be able to go to Combat on Monday. You guys are experts now and I'll look foolish - even more so than normal because of the contrast.