my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

So after work on Thursday night (9pm) I was super tired and worn out from yet another busy Summer Reading day. I said to Karen at work the other day: How am I supposed to have any energy to get to the gym when I spend eight hours here never sitting down? I hurry around all day showing kids where books are, squatting to pick up things people leave on the floor or tables, spending several hours hoisting heavy piles of books around the place. Geez, who can handle a workout after that. So last night, like every day after work, I just wanted to go home and relax. But I said to myself: You have no energy. There is only one way to get energy. You will either have to a) quit your job or b) get your ass to the gym. Since option a isn't really a choice (although very nice sounding some days) I went with option b. That however was the least of my accomplishments last night.

Remember how I mentioned that Jennifer was stuck in Minnesota over night. Well, she calls me at 11:30pm and asks me to go to Omaha asap because her flight will be landing at 12:20am. So I rush around and drive up there. Just as I am pulling into the Airport, she texts me: haven't left yet, check the time. Her plane doesn't arrive until 2:00 in the morning. By the time we get her bags and drive home it's 3:30am. So I did not go to BodyPump at 6. I won't even go into the fact that I got pulled over by a trooper on the way up and given a fix-it ticket because my front license plate will not go in. Nobody has stopped me for that in the 5 years I have owned this car. But they pick the most stressful night of my most stressful week.

I went to BodyPump this afternoon. I surrounded the class with and hour of cardio (walking and elliptisizing). I made sure to go hard through out all tracks today, because this will be the only class I can make it to this week. Crazy huh? If I had managed to make it this morning, I could have gone again tomorrow morning, but now, I can't (that whole 24 hours between weight lifting theory). I would have had to take an hour of vacation tomorrow anyway, so this is probably for the best. I also spent over an hour in the sun today to work on my awesome tan. If I put in just an hour and fifteen minutes both Saturday and Sunday at the gym, I will get my seven hours in. It's a lot more difficult when six of them have to be cardio. And I work this weekend, so again I will be tired. But, tired and super-hot. That's something I can live with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for coming to pick me up. Had I known it would take so long to leave the airport once I was on the plane, I might have stayed in Minneapolis and left at 9 the next morning as was my original plan. Cause 3:30 is way later than 1:30 like when I was supposed to be home. Anyway, thanks again for picking me up - sorry it ruined your morning gym plans.