my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Celebrate Summer

I think it's impossible to lose weight during summer. Some people may disagree with this and say the winter holidays are the most difficult time of the year. But I think, since everyday is a holiday in summer, that this is the hardest time of year to lose weight. Let's look at the facts: more cookouts, more family picnics, more reasons to eat ice cream, more fruity alcoholic drinks, more street fairs, more daylight to eat and drink, nicer weather to drive to restaurants rather than hole up at home. Sure sure, it's probably easier to workout during the nice months, but eating healthy and summer cannot go into the same sentence. Last June I was working on running two miles and I didn't care what I was eating, so I didn't lose any weight. Then in July I stopped working out altogether and didn't worry about what I was eating. Curtis got sick and was in the hospital and I was worried and lost 6 pounds. Then in August those pounds came back, but I still didn't go to the gym regularly. Then when September came and summer ended I got back in gear and made resolutions to lose the rest of this weight and make working out a priority. Here I am again. Part of me wants to not worry about what I eat for the next couple of months. Celebrate Summer! I am working out seven hours each week, and that is good enough. But the part of me that has gained 5 pounds this week is worried where this could lead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you and Erin make it to the gym this morning? I'm assuming you did, so I'll go ahead and say good job on that. Summer is tough - but most cookouts and stuff do have watermelon or some kind of fruit, which doesn't happen as much in winter. We just need to always involve big man volleyball or swimmming or something like that in cookouts so it's a workout too.

Anonymous said...

Yes we made it! Yay us! Sure cookouts can be made healthy, but you didn't address the ice cream and other yummy summer foods that are tempting me. And more the fact that I don't WANT to turn them down.