my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, December 22, 2008

Temptation

There is something I know about myself: I give in to temptation easily. I have no will power. I don't claim to have any, and I don't attempt to have any. For this reason, I do not purchase bad foods to have in my house. I don't buy chips, I don't leave chocolate lying around. But I spent all last week at my mom's house. My mom has no will power either, but she has no qualms about having crap-food in every cupboard. Besides boxes and tins of Christmas cookies and candies, I also ate: pizza rolls, Cheetos, tortilla chips, cheese, and left over prime rib. I had more holiday goodies at Jen's house on Friday, and more again at my mom's house on Sunday. Saturday night I enjoyed Candy Cane Pie (a VI must ever December) and a fattening Poppy Seed Muffin on Saturday morning. So it shouldn't have come as a shock when my scale was three pounds heavier today. I hate it so much. I a not trying to lose weight this time of year. But the least I could do is maintain what I have. And when ultimately I want the scale to go down, going up is the WRONG DIRECTION!

You'd think that this fact would have inspired me to turn around and eat as health-full-ly as possible this week. And it did. I started out on a great foot: picked a healthy granola bar for breakfast, packed a nutritious lunch, brought my gym clothes for my two hours of gym time this evening. But as soon as I walked in the door at work, these cinnamon rolls were staring at me. After thirty minutes of still wanting one, I gave in. I microwaved it so it would be ooey-gooey and warm. Unfortunately I killed it. The frosting melted everywhere and it was a crusty as a crouton. Even though I wanted to get another, I threw it away and went on with my morning. Then I ate a whole bunch of chocolate that someone brought in. What is it with people and the holidays and food and sharing with others. We don't all want to be as fat as you Santa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, at least by killing the cinnamon roll you didn't eat it. So that's a positive. You need to work in the lab where food isn't even allowed. Although I eat out for lunch way too often and that's probably worse than snacks in the break room.

Jen said...

I hear you on temptation. But the holiday season is the one time I allow chocolatey and sweet goodies to sit at home. I figure that once it is over, I'll have to wait a whole year to get it all again. Then come January, February, and March it is so freaking cold and miserable that working out is the only way to get somewhat warm and burn off all those holiday calories.