my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New Gym Friends

As I mentioned yesterday, my friends Sara and Brandy joined me for Kickboxing last night. Brandy of course knew exactly what she was doing because she had taken BodyCombat at Golds. Sara on the other hand, had no idea what she was getting herself into. She even stayed for BodyPower. Imagine taking two classes the first time you've been in a gym in 10 years. (To her credit, she has been running around her neighborhood a little since this past summer). I told her what I tell all BodyPower newbies: Start with all smalls. The instructor might tell you to put more weight on, but there's nothing wrong with starting light. You'll thank me tomorrow. She seemed to enjoy it, and plans on coming back at least every Monday. Brandy also plans on coming at least once a week. Now I will have to work on getting more Wednesday converts, because Marika's class is 10 times better than Katie's. And as we have discovered: the teacher makes the class. (Unless you're deprived of classes, in which case, the class makes the class!)

After starting my week off with two good hours of working out, I am taking this evening off. Some of my work people are going out to Mazatlan for one of our employee's last days of work. I could try to get to the gym before we meet for Margaritas at 8:00. But I have a lot of errands to run. And sometimes I get tired of going places sweaty. Sure these people already know how cute and good smelling I am in real life. But, there's no reason to confuse them! Hello yummy drinks, goodbye gym time!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Way to get some people to join you for classes. I still can't get anyone to even join a gym with me. Except Don, but he's too scared of classes.

Anonymous said...

I wish someone would have told me to do all smalls only the first time I took the class - that was total soreness for an entire week! Yay to margaritas!