my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

I hope everyone had a happy and healthy holiday today. Most of you understand that I mostly hate Christmas and all things it has come to represent: consumerism, obligations, resentment, expectations. Surprisingly, for someone who doesn't go to church, religion is the only aspect of Christmas that I really enjoy. It is what the holiday is all about after all. It's not about family and gifts and stress. It's just about Jesus and his birthday -- and we all know how much I love birthdays! So I try to stay as stress-free around the holidays as possible. I try to have my presents bought early (so I don't have to spend time with those crowds in the stores), I try to advocate for my family to give as few/little gifts as possible (I haven't got them talked into no gifts yet). And I try to separate my family celebrations as much as possible. I think that I did a great job of not letting stress get to me! So Christmas was a success I guess!

I got in a pretty good workout on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately there were no classes at Goodyear; they closed at 3:00. So after I got off work at 4:00 I headed over to Gold's (there are some good reasons to have two gyms) and worked out for 50 minutes. I find gym cardio to be so insanely boring that I just couldn't make myself stay for ten more minutes. Then I celebrated with my mom by eating some creamy soup. There was no working out on Christmas, because they gym had some absurd hours (10-4) in which I was busy during all of them. On top of no calories burned, I ate a huge amount of them. I skipped the pie, but that's easy for me. I made up for it with stuffed mushrooms, manacotti, fudge, Oreo balls, sugar cookies, etc... But that's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you did make it to the gym when you could - that's more than most people can say, or at least I can say.