my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fair Weather

Tuesday evening I ate more than I had planned at the State Fair. And somewhere along the line I need to remind myself that losing weight is about sacrifices and making smart decisions. It is not about allowing myself to have treats because I am celebrating something, or because I deserved them. So although I told myself that I could splurge on the corn dog (and a third of it ended up falling on the ground) I also let myself have half the platter of spiral-potatoes-dripping-in-fat and half of a caramel apple (but hey, it's fruit!). Along with a glass of wine, since we were in the beer and wine pavilion listening to music. I did a lot of walking though, not fast enough to count as exercise, but more than I do when I am sitting on my couch eating potato chips and hot dogs and apples and drinking wine!

Wednesday, because of circumstances beyond my control, I had to miss Kickboxing. I was feeling discouraged and wanted to skip bodypower as well when I remembered that Brandy was scheduled to be joining me for Wednesday classes again. I'm glad I made myself go because it was a really good class. Mary was gone and we had a substitute; Katie, the old Kickboxing instructor. I always love to have subs because they make me think about things I'm not use to, and they often mix up the music. I finally remembered to increase my warm-up weight to a large. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but sickness, and vacations and just plain forgetting have kept me from doing so. The only thing I had trouble getting through was the bicep warm-up. I can't even do sixteen bicep curls with the large. Maybe someday. I think it made the rest of my workout seem easy, which was a nice addition, and hopefully the result will be that I can increase my weights faster.

I went home and took Hannah for a run. Unfortunately, the trail we normally ran in last spring had grown over with large weeds and grasses. We ran for 15 minutes, and then turned around and walked home. It was getting to dark to be tripping over branches and breaking my neck. I had wanted to get up and run another half-an-hour this morning but it was rainy and miserable. We slept in instead.

No comments: