my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, September 21, 2009

Abs of Steel

I tried something new this evening: Abs class! This class begins right at 5:00 so generally I can't make it when I get off work at 5. I was able to make it today though, so I took the opportunity. It wasn't impossible, but it wasn't easy either. I bet if I took it once a week I would really see improvements. Unfortunately my schedule won't allow that. It might allow me to take the Butts and Gutts class on Thursday evenings though.

After that I went to spinning. As I mentioned last week, I do not like the new Kickboxing class or instructor on Monday night. The Wednesday instructor is better, although it's the same aerobic (jazzersize) type class. I also like the Monday spinning teacher quite a bit. Again, it was a really good class. I was sweating and my legs were burning. My knee had a little tension in it, but didn't really hurt until I started doing squats in BodyPower. Because my legs were so tired I let myself go a little easy on squats. I will need a few weeks to work up to spinning and high leg weights. Overall an excellent evening of 2.5 hours of working out. Hopefully that will get the scale to shift down a little.

Good news: I don't have to work on Oct. 18th, so I am going to register for the Governor's Cup Race around downtown Lincoln and the Capital. My goal is to do the whole 5k in 31 minutes (10 minute miles). That is really lofty though, and I would settle for something like 33 minutes. My training begins tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What time is your race again? I know you told me, but I can't remember.

2.5 hours in one day, wow that's a ton! Be sure to get a day of rest in sometime during the week.

Karrie said...

Yeah, I've got about three days of rest coming up Thursday Friday and Saturday. I probably won't even make my seven hour goal.