my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, September 11, 2009

Grandma Wouldn't Want Me to Get Fat

I feel like I have been eating non-stop for the last week. Funerals and everything that go with it are depressing. And not being in my normal routine has thrown my eating and workout habits way off. And now I am having trouble (emotionally) getting back to my real life. But I need to remember that my grandmother would not want me to get fat for her. For most of my life my grandma was on a diet. Every summer that I would go up to visit her we would talk about how we were going to lose weight together. Seeing as I was 11, it was probably really sick and wrong! But the woman cared about vanity more than most things: she wouldn't go out of the house without a full application of makeup and designer clothes. So it's no surprise that as soon as she started gaining "grandma-weight" she had a difficult time dealing with it. Since I have recently lost weight, she was always so impressed and encouraged me to keep going. I am very proud of the fact that the last time she went out of the house (besides to the hospital) was the day I ran the Columbus Downtown RunAround, and she wheeled out to cheer me on! I need to get back to it. And that includes throwing away the brownies and muffins that my family sent home with me. And hitting the gym this evening.

No comments: