my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Changes

I knew that change was coming but I had taken a week and a half off and hadn't realized that the month was half over already. Mary can't make it to the gym by 5:30 so she isn't teaching Kickboxing any more. So now we have two new instructors, Liz on Mondays and Denise on Wednesdays. I guess what I didn't think about is that Mary does BodyCombat. These other people don't. They teach something called TurboKick. I think that you will remember this from my days of taking Kickboxing with Katie. It was alright, but it is very aerobic. It's hard to explain how that is different than Combat, which is very aerobic as well. But I felt like I was in an Aerobics class last night. There were steps to learn, no different songs for different workouts, and Oh-My-Goodness, there were claps. I don't know how much of that I can stand. Combat is about building muscle definition while sweating, and getting out your aggression. Also, the instructor was bad. She was more out of shape than me, and I need an instructor who inspires me, not who takes the low-impact route because she's out of breathe. I am going to give Denise a try tomorrow, and then I may re-evaluate which days I leave work early to workout. There is a Bootcamp class that I have never been able to attend because it's at 5:30 on Tuesday and Thursday. Perhaps I could convince my boss that I need to be off at 5:00 on Thursdays instead of Wednesdays.

BodyPower was very difficult as well. I lowered my weights on a few tracks: squats, triceps and biceps. I knew that it would be hard after taking a week and a half off. But it was really hard. Even with easier weights I was struggling through it all. But as I was lying there during the Chest routine, I was thinking how much better I felt about myself when I was active. All last week I couldn't get my behind off of the couch to workout and that just fueled my non-active lifestyle. I love how powerful exercise is.

Tonight I am watching The Biggest Loser and loving every minute of it. And it encouraged me to stop grazing on the strange snack foods my mom has around her house. And as soon as it is over Hannah and I are going out for a run. I'm posting it here so we actually have to do it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And they did go running, or at least called me when she got back - unless it was all a lie. Anyway, it's too bad I don't feel lazy and crappy enough when I don't go to the gym to make myself want to go more often. Instead, I seem to be content with just being lazy. Good for you for not being a bum like me.