my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Running With Jen

Amazingly today was only the second time that I have ever had the chance to run with Jen. Once, quite a while ago, we both went to Gold's and ran on the treadmill, but that hardly counted. Today, Jen was in town to work things for Jennifer's wedding, and while she was in town, we took advantage of the workout-partnership. Jen is on a six-week return to running plan. She was technically a day behind. So first we did her Friday run: 1 minute run, 1 minute walk. We ran really fast and I was really proud of us. I think we were doing 9-minute miles at one point. You can go almost all out when you know that it's only gonna last one minute. We finished that day's plan easily and then moved on to her assigned Sunday run. Now realize that we were already a little more tired that we might have been, but this workout was hard. Sunday's goal was: run two minutes, walk two minutes. Again we started running pretty fast. But I soon lost steam; my 9 minute-miles soon turned into 11:30 minute-miles. Still it was a great workout. It was a beautiful day for running and I had great company!

However, each time I run, I grow more and more hesitant of this 31 minute goal that I have set up for myself in just three weeks. Maybe I should just run it for fun and try to do the best I can and not worry about breaking any records. I had to skip my four mile easy run this weekend because I was out of town for 'Aunt and Niece days'. When I stay with my aunt I tend to eat really healthy for most meals (she does let us eat much at all) but then we end up having two desserts later in the night. On Friday morning when I left I had made a great dent on my weight loss for last week (from 15 to 12) but we'll see what I am at tomorrow morning. Besides running with Jen, today was filled with Pizza, breadsticks, brownies and Cheetoes.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I didn't partake in the Cheetoes but I did partake in the pizza, breadsticks and brownies. Now it's time for a strict diet to make that dress easier to zip (and breathe!).

Unknown said...

I think running for fun on this race is probably a good idea - unless it means you won't have enough motivation to finish. Besides, if you just run without any stress about speed, maybe you'll surprise yourself.