my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gymless

Last night I made a huge effort to go right to the gym after work. It was a snowy Friday evening and I packed all my clothes and drove right there. I was determined to run as much of four miles as I possibly could. I could either run it or fall off the machine. But as soon as I pulled into the parking lot I realized that I had not packed my Ipod, nor any extra headphones. I absolutely can not run four miles with nothing else to think of (no tv, no music). So instead I made myself walk steep hills for thirty minutes; I can only occupy my mind for about that long. Then I headed up to the women's weight room where I did half of an upper body workout. It was so crowded and there were always people on the machines I wanted to use, or doing sit-ups in front of the machines I wanted to use. Can't people hang out somewhere else? Then I walked out of Gold's for the last time. After seven years, I now find myself gymless.

This morning, even in 5-6 inches of snow, I met Jennifer and Brenda at Goodyear for Spinning. The teacher didn't show up again, which doesn't give me a lot of faith in the spinning classes. But another lady who takes lots of classes has done it enough that she was able to teach the class for us. It was only the four of us. It was kind of nice to have specialized instruction. She was able to tell us exactly what to look out for. She explained that beginners can develop bad habits, and if we take care of them now, we will be fine. I found spinning a little more difficult this time, which means I must finally be doing it right. I was out of breath on several occasions. I was sweating slightly, but not dripping sweat like I am during Kickboxing or running. Most of all I felt it in my legs. They were burning. I'm sure it is a great lower-body cardio workout. What I love about kickboxing though is it's a great upper-body cardio workout and you don't find that very often. Most things you do in the gym on your own (ellipticals, treadmills, step machines) all work your lower body.


I attempted to join Goodyear this morning, but apparently I need a cancelled check in order to start the payments coming out of my account. I did not have that with me. I mean, I don't own paper checks anymore people, this is the 21st century. But I can print something out to take with me next time. I guess tomorrow I will join. I will only be gymless for one day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the gymless! I've decided I will join goodyear for sure - but I'll probably wait until my punch card is done. I think I have like 8 or 9 left, so it won't take too long. I just don't really know what I would do with it if I don't use it up before I join. Most other people we know will have their punch cards for a while because they don't go as often.
Anyway - good attempt at running. I totally don't blame you for not being able to do it without headphones. AND I agree about the weight room being too busy now. Plus they added that ab machine that takes up a ton of room. And that stupid trainer with no personality is always there - should he even be allowed in the women's weight room? I think not. Anyway, it makes me a little happy to know they officially won't get a dime from me anymore. Not that they have for a while now, but now my membership is officially finished.
Don't worry, we won't be gymless for long, besides we always have the punch card, so really you were never totally gymless.