my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bouncy-Bs

I was all set for going to the gym Monday evening. I even had quite a bit of energy -- I was getting a lot of stuff accomplished at work. Then Jennifer calls me and has some excuse for not wanting to go. Okay, she was sick and I understand that. It just wouldn't be so hard to hear her excuses if it wasn't one after the other. I really wish I could just plan to not see her at the gym anymore, so when I did it was a nice surprise, instead of a always being a let down. But it's hard to change your mind set like that. Then I am changing after work and realize that I haven't brought a sports-bra. This would be fine for weight-lifting. But I can't imagine doing Katie's kickboxing class with just my regular bra on. Way too much bouncing, even for me! I couldn't just not go because I was meeting Sara there, and I knew that she wouldn't want to be there alone. So I suggested we try the Spinning class. Way less bouncing in that class... way less impact. And secretly, I kind of hate Katie's kickboxing class and am always looking for a reason to stop taking it. But then, we see Marika driving up and I have a feeling she might be teaching the kickboxing class instead of Katie. I ask her. She is! That's worth the bouncing. And her class is more upper-body, less jumping anyway, so it all worked out.

I have been keeping my weights high on squats lately, and even though it was killer and I felt like I wasn't going very low, I powered-through. Then Erin and I have a new plan. We think we use all of our bicep strength in the first few tracks, so we have none left to work when it comes to bicep time, that's why we can never increase our weight. So we let ourselves go easy on the chest track and made ourselves go higher on the bicep track. It was still very difficult, but I can still pick things up today, so it's better than last time. We also did an interesting new back move. In the five years I have been taking BodyPump there had never been a new back move. But for part of the song we laid on the bench and raised a plate behind our heads. She claimed this worked out upper-back. I didn't feel anything while doing it, but since I have upper-back problems, I might try this more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet another positive about your body type. You fit all the dresses, and you can tackle kickboxing at a moment's notice! Way to go even though you weren't completely prepared. You wouldn't have been as happy with spinning.