my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, February 21, 2009

A New Routine

I made it to Gold's today to do 40 minutes of cardio (ran one mile and walked hills the rest of the time) and 20 minutes of upper-body weights. I am starting to develop a routine doing upper body work on Saturdays. It works parts of my body that I just don't get to in BodyPower class. On top of that, I was able to do 4 push-ups today. I still stay mainly on the top half, because if I let myself go past a certain point, I lose control and fall. But it really is an improvement. Unfortunately I only have one more week to belong to Gold's gym. So I will need to learn to take my weight lifting somewhere else, or at least do it at home. I pretty much need heavier weights than the 3 and 5 pounders I have at home. It doesn't do my biceps much good unless I use 10 pounders or more. Or I could do 100 reps instead of 10-15. I am thinking more and more about just joining Goodyear. I might as well try it for a few months to see how I actually like it. I am in the middle of writing the group fitness leader an email requesting a Saturday BodyPower class. I am sure it would be well attended; our class is always full now-a-days; some people have to use body bars instead of the regular weight sets. And we have acquired more and more ex-Gold's class instructors. Ann, had begun subbing over at Goodyear. Next, I will find out where Ryan is and get him to come over and teach me again. Everything will work out perfectly!

Last night I went to a Women's basketball game with Erin. It was fun, and I was able to put my contacts to work! On top of that we saw a lot of really buff (and tall) women. It led to a discussion of needing a reason to get into great shape. We might be starting a small 3 month Biggest Loser competition. We don't have the details worked out yet, but it might just be what I need to make me stop eating for once: Money!

2 comments:

Jen said...

How was your workout yesterday? Hope it went well! I am planning on going to Combat tonight because I put on my "fat" jeans and they fit.... Not good!

Anonymous said...

Did you send the email yet? I want to know what it says. Depending on the answer you get, we could rally people in class for support if we needed it - or some of the rest of us could work on emailing too. We can make this happen - and then I might just join too. Cause 3 punches a week costs more than a membership, while 2 per week doesn't. I would then also need to make sure I went 3 times a week to make it worth it - which should be good news to you also.