my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What I Learned from Jillian

As many of you know I am a big fan of the reality show The Biggest Loser. Often I make myself get to the gym to watch it because I can't get channel six at home. However, it's a two hour program and I can't spend that much time walking on a treadmill. But now that I have my own digital-tv-converter-box I have been able to tune in each week from the comfort of my couch. What I love about it is that it's motivating. I love the trainers and often wish I had someone who inspired and pushed me like they do. Both trainers, Bob and Jillian, have their own method of getting results. For example, Bob expects greatness my loving and believing in you for who you are, and in return people hate to let Bob down. People just love to hate Jillian. She is a bitch, often bringing people to tears, but she gets results with the tough love she uses. People are usually scared to let Jillian down. And whereas I love Bob (although I believe that he's gay) and wish he would be my friend, I see that what Jillian does works too. This is what she taught me last night: She was trying to get Michelle to run faster and longer than she had ever run before. And as usual Michelle was crying about how she couldn't go on any more. Now don't you think for one minute that I don't understand the need to give up when you're running. And in the middle of yelling things at her, Jillian screamed "You can tell me you choose not to, but you cannot tell me you can't."

5 comments:

Jen said...

I don't understand the quote.... Can you say cannot and can't in the same sentence? I think you'll have to explain this one to me....

Karrie said...

You can CHOOSE to give up but you can't claim you are UNABLE to do it. You are able... you just have to will yourself through the tough times!

Anonymous said...

I still don't know if I would want someone yelling at me all the time.... although I wouldn't like someone telling me it would be ok all the time either. Basically neither method would probably work very well for me. It would have to be more about me deciding it was what I wanted to do, not someone else telling me so. But I can see a little of Jillian in Marika at times, maybe that's what you like about her. You know, when she says 'nobody give up' and stuff like that. In contrast to her trying to be motivational, like saying 'you can do 8 of anything.' Anyway, she's probably closer to Jillian than she is to Bob, at least at times - except without the screaming in your face.

Karrie said...

Marika reminds me of Jillian too. In fact last night I was going to post about how much I thought they were alike. And she does get in your face... not in Body Power, but in kickboxing she runs over and stand right in front of you and yells don't you dare give up. And I like in Power when she says "there's only ten more, nobody can quit now, we're all doing it together!"
I do like her!! My how things have changed.
BUT, Ryan was more like Bob... you wanted to do it for him! And I loved that about him too.

Jen said...

no wonder I don't like Marika. I don't like Jillian. I don't like being yelled at. Gym teachers did enough of that in high school, I'm over the yelling.