my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hit Me with your Best Shot

I think that I have gotten pretty good at kickboxing, if I do say so myself! Most of the time I have really good form (sometimes better than the instructor). I am able to last the entire 45 minutes, although I am panting and sweating profusely. I have mastered the kicks, and the direction your knee and foot is supposed to go during each of them. I understand the muscle groups being affected with each punch. And the better you are at kickboxing the more efficient the workout. I now know what muscle group to squeeze, which angle to punch, what should be tired and what should have a lot left in it.

On top of all of that, I have begun to concentrate more on form than weights in body power class. Marika has always been a big proponent of lower weights/better form. She even goes as far as encouraging lifters to go light on muscles like triceps and biceps. And although I am reluctant to not increase my weights, I find I can get a better workout if I tighten my triceps every time I lift them. They are always sore. Even if they aren't fatigued at the end of the song. I really concentrate on squeezing my elbows together, as if there was a ball in between my arms. So I am happy with the lower weight but larger results. And remember, I am target-training my upper body for the next 43 weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a kickboxing superstar, if I do say so myself. I'm still a flailing idiot, but that may always be since I'm a little less than coordinated in life in general.

Karrie said...

At least you're doing it!!!!