my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank a Vet for My Workout

Sometimes it's nice to be a city employee and get random days off like today. Obviously it is Veteran's Day, but it's not really a holiday I have off to celebrate. There are no family obligations, there are no festivals I must attend. So instead it was just a nice day that I got to sleep in and stay warm inside as the rainy weather went on around me. And although I am appreciative of those veterans who have given their time and lives to save ours, I am also thankful for the extra day off from work.

I had meant to start my running program today, but I was too sore to make myself run. I got to the gym telling myself I wouldn't have to run until Friday. Sometimes I dread running and sometimes I like the challenge it presents. I figure I shouldn't have to do it unless I am enjoying it. I'm not exactly sure why I am sore today. It could have been the one hundred roundhouse kicks we did last night. It could have been the extra squats we did in kickboxing right before we did all those squats in power class. It could have been the fact that I took last Wednesday off from the gym, so I hadn't been to class in a week. No to mention the fact that I hadn't worked out at all since last Monday. (Wow, I took a whole week off?) Or the fact that I am still getting back to good from the cold I developed this weekend. Either way, I was tired and weak and at least I made it to the gym. I used the elliptical machine for 30 minutes and then walked uphills for 30 minutes. It was hot in the gym. I could feel the heat blasting onto me from the vent. I wish the place I worked could be that warm. I am most excited by the fact that I can just sit at home and relax this evening, because I already have my workout done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you're still getting "back to good" I wonder if anyone else knows why you worded it that way. Anyway, yay Veteran's Day!

Karrie said...

what? why did i?

Anonymous said...

Ok apparently I'm crazy, but I thought it was from some Wicked song. It is in some kind of song - give me a minute to think about it and I'll get back to you. This is why I don't try to know anything about songs or bands because they all get mixed up in my head.