my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Scale Woes

Scales are finicky things. And now that Jen has dug out her old scale, has been greatly disappointed by its readings and has now gone to buy a new one at Target, I feel it is time to rant about the dear old scale. What better way to explain my feelings than in a pros/cons list. I mean, if it worked for Ross and Rachel, it can work for me and my scale!

Cons:
- The scale is not an exact reading of calories in/calories out as the experts claim weight to be.
- The scale does not take into account those bulging quad muscles I have developed.
- The scale does not take my feelings into consideration on days that my water-weight might have increased.
- When I am doing everything right (working out, eating healthy) and the scale increases a few pounds, I am discouraged.

Pros:
-When I am doing everything right (working out, eating healthy) and the scale decreases a few pounds, I am very happy, and encouraged to keep doing it.

And that's enough to keep weighing myself every day!

2 comments:

Jen said...

The scale I bought measures body fat and percentage of water weight. I tried it out and at 5:00 after eating and whatnot, and with all my clothes on, I got on and it had me at a pound less than my old one this morning. I'm trying it out tomorrow morning to see what it says! I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

I figure there is quite a bit of error in a scale, so probably its best to be used as an estimator. Obviously it will show a weight loss or gain trend, but the day-to-day ups and downs don't really tell you a whole lot. I've never weighed myself every day, or even once a week, so I haven't noticed the crazy ups and downs. But, it looks like when you list it all out, you still have enough positive reinforcement to keep it up, even if there are some days you can't explain.