my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Number 44

Yesterday morning when I went to vote, I stood in line with Jennifer (another perk of being neighbors). When the voter registrar (remember when I was one of those in high school??!!) checked me in I was number 44. "Oh," I said "that's not a very lucky number!" You know, if I was number 6 (my favor-ist number) I would have been really happy. Or 106 or 16 or 1680 or 160, or even 207 (another very symbolic number to me). But I was only 44. I didn't think anything about it until Obama was elected president last night and the announcer said, Barack Obama will be the forty-fourth president of the United States of America. Forty-fourth??? That's me! I did it! I was 44th too!

I woke up this morning not feeling very well. I think I was dehydrated (I hardly drank any water yesterday and had a few celebratory drinks). I had also eaten several chips at my Barack the Vote party and the combination of salt and no water left me feeling ill. I still planned on going to the gym; I packed my bag and everything. But I haven't seen Jennifer all week and I feel like I don't do anything fun anymore; and I feel like my whole life revolves around the gym; and I am so sick and tired of going to the gym alone, even though that should be very natural for me. So I decided to skip the gym and go to dinner with Jennifer instead. You know, don't burn any calories, eat them instead! But later I have to go visit my mom for a while, so I will take the dog for a long walk, or maybe even a run. I don't have my IPod with me though, so that could get old fast!

Anyway, here's to a better world (from here on out), a better president (next year) and a better me (next week!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should decide what your lucky numbers are for the lottery - and then remember those who came up with the idea of extablishing your lucky lottery numbers.