my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vandals at the Gym

There is a patron that has been coming to the library for some time now. In fact I have known him since he was in elementary school at Belmont, and I worked at the library there (nine years ago). We will call him Mickey R. (creative eh?) Now, he is twenty years old and a meth-head. Last year some time he was so high and causing so much trouble at the library that I was scared for my life. I actually thought to myself: today I am going to die. He will come back with a gun and shoot me. Generally I am not scared of our patrons, I just think they're annoying, or stupid or crazy, or annoying. He was banned for six months and eventually ended up in jail for a while. Recently he has been back and causing more trouble. Just last month he was kicked out for cussing loudly across the library, and on his way he threatened Erin. That got him another six-month banning from the library. That didn't stop him from being in front of the library yesterday morning when I unlocked the doors. He didn't come in though. Instead he went to a car in the parking lot, got in, and did what I could only guess was a drug deal. Needless to say: this boy is trouble. Imagine my horror then when today, I read an article about my new gym: Goodyear fitness. Last evening at 6:30 (while I was just getting ready to do squats). A young man was caught setting fire in the bathroom. The same young man was previously banned from the gym for using a shower to flood the men's locker room and lighting a cigar in the sauna. That man is Mickey R. and not only has be stirred up trouble at my place of employment, he has infiltrated my gym. Good news though: at 7:00pm last night, as he was racing around the liquor store where my friend Steph works, probably high on meth, 4 cops charged in with their guns pointed and threw him to the floor. Then they arrested him. Guess he won't be bothering me at work or the gym anytime soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever looked up his criminal record? I wonder how many times he has been arrested. Maybe you should start limiting the extent of criminal records of your patrons. You know, using the library could be like a privilege, rather than a right. Look into that - maybe it can be on the next ballot.

Karrie said...

Yes, we look up his criminal record every month. It's how we know when he's getting out of jail and will be back. Talk to your city councilman about that!