my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, July 10, 2009

Three Weeks till Slim

The scale moved in the right direction this week, which honestly is a bit of a surprise with the holiday weekend and the margarita night. Still, it only move a half of a pound. I was down to 5.5 this morning. That is going to be tough with only three weeks left, but still manageable. Curtis had a much worse weekend and actually ended up two pounds higher than when he started. So chances are, even if I don't accomplish the goal, I will beat him! Moving downward is really all that is important to me. And this next week is going to be much better. I have no family celebrations, no going-away parties. Just regular life. Hopefully I can see a 2-3 pound loss this week.

Last night Erin agreed to run with me. Even though we waited until after work (8:30) and the sun was almost down, the humidity was in full swing. The breeze that seemed to be so prevalent during my dinner break (when I was trying to read outside) was nowhere to be seen. Sweat was dripping off of my by the first mile. It was running down my face and blinding me. I must buy a headband or at the very least start running with a towel. At least then I could worry about the lack of running that I am able to do instead of the amount of sweat in my eyes. We ended up running 1.5 miles, walking a half a mile and running another 1.5 miles. For a total of 3 miles run. We did it slowly: 38 minutes (12:40 miles). But at least Erin is briefly contemplating running the five-mile race in Columbus. Apparently she is a fast learner. And if she was willing to do it with me, I would much more eager to run/walk it than if I was doing it on my own.

This morning I had the day off, but needed to stop by work to check on something. I decided to bike to the library. It is approximately 3.5 miles away from my house. The sun isn't even out today, so it seemed like it would be wonderful. I was soaked with sweat by the time I arrived. I had been wanting to ride to work more, but I think that might have to wait until September, when this awful humidity subsides. Still, it makes a good 40 minute workout. I am planning on heading to Gold's this afternoon to get some weight lifting in as well. Guess, I better get going.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yuck - today would have been an awful bike riding or any kind of outdoor excercise day - the humidity was gross. Definitely wait til fall when the humidity isn't such a problem.

What kind of nerd goes to work on their day off????