my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Running Inspiration

Three years ago, and I might be off a year because they all start to run together, Jen was down visiting and sitting in my living room. I had checked out a book about running from the library. As we were sitting around the house Jen picked up the book and asked me about it.
Her: Why do you have this?
Me: I'm gonna become a runner
Her: Oh yeah? I've thought about doing that.
A year later Jen was off running 10ks while I was still sitting around the living room. Finally I realized that if she could do it, I could do it. Jen is my running inspiration. Today's her birthday, and it makes me think of how lucky I am to have her inspiration in my life. Still to this day, and I'm not exactly sure why, whenever I hear The Killer's song: Mr. Brightside, I think of Jen and run just a little faster. So it is fitting that I celebrated her birthday by doing a three mile run. And I am celebrating this weekend with a five mile race, just before I head out to her birthday party. I would be honored to some day run a race with her.
Here are some of my other running inspirations:
- Setting a record for speed.
- The feeling of going further than I ever had before.
- Hannah, who is excited to go for a run whenever I suggest it.
- Having my 87 year old grandma get up extra early on a Saturday to come see me cross a finish line.
- Watching Erin go from running half a mile to a whole five miles in less than two months.
- Actually wearing out a pair of shoes instead of just wanting a new pair.
- Brandy, who could probably run five miles in 40 minutes, but would rather slow down and enjoy the ride with us.
- Seeing the way that fitness can truly change your life.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think it was four years ago because it was three years ago this September that I did the 10k. Funny thing is that now your my inspiration! Maybe the year of our 30th birthdays will be the year we can get together and run that race!! Let's shoot for a spring run. Then I'll have time to get back into it!

Jen said...

And thanks for the note, made my not so great birthday day better. Can't wait til the real celebration with my girls!

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you have numerous motivators since I am pretty sucky at gym-going. Although I think you're probably pretty persuasive to them and the motivation goes both ways. Guess the others just aren't as good at deflecting your workout vibes - or maybe they just aren't as lazy as me!