my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, July 20, 2009

My First Blister

Last night's Running Goal: Four Easy Miles
Accomplished: 4 miles in 49:01 (12:15 miles)
Our goal was to log another four miles and do it without a sprint at the end to show Erin that she would have plenty of energy to tag on another mile come Saturday's race. It was easy, for all of us. I suggested doing the last mile when we got done, taking us up to five, but Erin was ready to quit at the point. Still, she agreed that she could have done another if she absolutely needed to. I am getting excited for race day. It is supposed to be a high of 79 degrees that day, so the morning will be beautiful. Of course there is a chance of rain; I don't know how to run a race that doesn't involve potential rain. We still haven't seen a map of the course, but most of Columbus is flat. And we're all running it together. It's going to be fun!

However, last night I tried to break in my new running shoes. I have had this pair since March, but was waiting until after my June race to break them out. Well, after that I did most of my running on the muddy/dusty trails around town and would hate to get my new shoes dirty on my first run. I really want to wear them to Saturday's race, and had been wanting to break them in. I figured I should start with a short run. However, I don't seem to have time to do those two mile runs anymore. So I wore them last night. Within the second mile I could feel some rubbing on my right toe. And sure enough I had a blister by the time I got home. Now I am worried. I am planning on two more runs this week, both three mile. Tuesday I will wear my old shoes, Thursday I might try the new ones again and see how that goes. I guess safety will have to trump vanity for this event!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wear a good bandaid over the blister so it doesn't keep rubbing against your sock! Ouch. Way to be a trooper though and still doing the race Saturday.