my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, July 6, 2009

Eight is Great

I worked out eight hours last week. It didn't help lower the scale any when it came to fourth of July weight gain. But imagine what the scale would have said this morning if I had skipped more workouts this week. Monday and Wednesday I made it to both kickboxing and BodyPower. On Monday I counted 30 minutes of a bike ride (even though it might have been more than that) but it resulted in frozen yogurt. On Friday, having the day off, I got up and met Erin at Gold's for some cardio. I had this plan to work on my running speed. I ran for one minute fast (10 minute mile) and then walked for one minute pretty fast (15 minute mile). Ultimately it should result in a 12:30 minute mile, and I thought that maybe I wouldn't be so tired. Nope, just the opposite. I was more tired after running six interval sets than I would have been if I had run one mile and a slow and steady pace. So then I walked a while, and finished with an easy mile. But maybe it pushed my muscles more, or my heart, or something. Then I met my mom up in the women's weight room where we did the entire circuit. On Saturday I made it to the gym again in the morning. I did 40 minutes on the AMT machine, which was tough and sweat inducing. Then I used the bike. I was able to keep my heart rate up the 20 minutes I spent on that, but hardly burned any calories. Sunday, I didn't make it to the gym because I was spending time with my family, but we took an hour (almost) walk in the afternoon. It wasn't fast because my relatives don't believe in power-walking. But it was something.

Unfortunately I indulged in food more than I should have this weekend. I ate too many cookies and chips and not enough fruit and vegetables. I gained two pounds. But I am going to have a great week, so I am even lower than I was for my next Friday morning weigh in. You do know though, today is my half-birthday. So I will have to celebrate with a treat of some kind!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's exactly why you workout so much - so you can enjoy the treats around you. It's not like you failed, you just planned to be able to enjoy good foods by going to the gym. Good plan!