my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Normal Weight"

This morning when I woke up and weight myself, I was pleasantly surprised by the scale. A pound or two had finally dropped off of me taking me down to 4 pounds left to lose. This is a new number for me, and it made me remember something that I had calculated a long time ago. Just to be sure, when I got to work this morning I looked up Body Mass Index online to find out what mine was. I am finally in the "normal weight" category. I am no longer "overweight". Isn't that amazing! That's really more important than any number that the scale says, or any size pants I might be wearing. I am now healthy. Still, I have four more pounds that I want to lose to get down to that ambiguous "goal-weight" that I came up with so very long ago. And if I do it in the next 16 days, I get $20!

Sorry that my posts have been so rare; my Internet is still down at home and I find it difficult to waste precious work time (not that I am against wasting work time, I am just having a difficult time finding time to waste!). Here is a recap of my workouts this week.

Sunday's Running Goal: Three miles
Brandy met me after work for a late run on Sunday evening. We didn't get started until around 9:00 so the sun/heat wasn't such a problem, although the humidity was still there. We ran around a park we used to frequent as children. The loop around the park was two miles, and was really nice. As always when running with Brandy, she is excellent at talking the whole time and keeping me entertained as I plug away at my three miles. The first two sort of flew by. The third one was much more difficult, but we managed. We averaged somewhere just over 12-minute miles. Not great! This just re-affirms my ideas that I will not be able to do the five mile run in less than an hour. Should have trained harder... or planned a run in the fall.

Monday I went to Kickboxing and Body Power. Both excellent classes as always, although sometimes they seem so much harder than others. I had a hard time with the squats and it seems that the large amount of weight I am using stresses my back. I will have to watch that. I have done such a great job of keeping all of my weights about medium and smalls for all tracks. I really think that I can tell in my shoulders. They have gained a lot of definition in the last couple of months. I am excited that this will be a three-bodypower-class-week.

Tuesday's Running Goal: Three miles
Oh my goodness. Do not attempt to run after work, when the sun is still high in the sky and the temps are above 90 and the humidity is at 100%. I think I just about died. Curtis joined me for a run down to the park and back. We had wanted to run three miles straight, but ended up taking a couple small (.25 mile) breaks. When I returned my shirt was completely drenched as if I had been running in the rain. I'm going to wait for dawn or dusk for my remaining summer runs. Even more proof that I won't be setting any records at the Columbus run. Better to just do it for fun. Brandy, Erin and I (the "Columbus Racers") are planning a four-mile run early Friday morning. Erin has never run that far and I need to see if I am still capable of that many miles. From there we will develop a plan to excel on race day. Do you think I need to have practiced the five-miles before I actually get to the race? If I can do four, what's another one?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the milestone - you've come a long way! Way to keep working on the runs, even though the weather makes it almost impossible sometimes. Someone like you probably doesn't need to practice running 5 miles - as long as you are running 3 or 4 regularly, you'll finish 5 on race day.