my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Back in Business

Today's Running Goal: Three-record-breaking-miles
Accomplished: 3 miles in 32:40 (10:54 miles)!
Before I run the race on Saturday I really wanted to get in a fast run so that the easy 12 minute mile pace I hope to keep up for five miles doesn't seem like much. And that is precisely what I did. Up to this point the fastest I had ever done three miles was somewhere right over 33 minutes (maybe 33:06). The improvement isn't huge, just twenty-six seconds, but there are several factors to weigh:
1. I did that two months ago in the height of my running training: running three times a week at various speeds.
2. I did that two months ago when the weather was beautiful and even though tonight's wasn't bad, it still wasn't spring.
3. I think I took a small break during the last record setter (some kid wanted to pet my dog) and this time I ran the entire thing straight through.
4. Did I mention I had a blister?
I am proud of this accomplishment, and have to thank Curtis for running with me and pushing me both at the beginning (when I wanted to "save some of it") and at the end (when I thought that I couldn't move just one more step). I should be brutally honest here - I felt like I was sprinting for 32 minutes. The first mile was fine, the second mile was long and tough and the third mile I felt like I was going to puke and passout at the same time. I was breathing so hard and pushing my legs as fast as they would go even though I don't think they were barely moving. I absolutely can not imagine running faster than this; when I picture myself I am flying through the air. But honestly, eleven minute miles are nothing. Don't get me wrong, I never thought that I would get there. But I still have a long way to go. I really hope to make running three or four miles part of my weekly workout routine. I burn tons of calories and get done in less than an hour. But it really does help to have someone to run it with. Someday not to far in the future I hope to write an entry about how I did in in under 27 minutes and it was tough, but I felt like I was flying.

Oh and being the powerhouse that I am: my blister is almost healed. There is still a little pain but the (gross notice!) fluid retention is minimal. Tonight I went back to wearing my old running shoes and plan to stick with them through Saturday's race. Then they can be retired and I can work on breaking in the new ones.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yay for breaking records! You're hardcore.

Unknown said...

keeping the tried and true shoes is probably best - especially since you don't know the course or the weather for sure, so even without the blister factor, the race may ruin your shoes.
Great job on the 3 mile time.... I'm sure you will reach 27 minutes sooner than you think.