my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Five Mile Race

I'm pretty certain that I am going to do the five mile Columbus Downtown Run Around, which is just two weeks from yesterday. I am not looking to beat any times, or set any records. I don't even plan on running the whole thing. What I am hoping to do is convert Erin into a runner. I am trying to convince her that we could do that five miles together. This means that we would come up with some walk/run combination, but at least we'd do it together! I am thinking we could run 2.5 miles, walk .5 miles, run 1 mile, walk .25 and finish with a .75 mile. But maybe if we practiced just a little bit more, we could run 2.5 miles, walk .5 and finish off the 2 miles. Who knows; I will have to check with Erin. Either way, I know that I am going to have to beef up the running in the next two weeks. I am a little disappointed in myself that I didn't work harder for this race, and that I won't be improving my time and effort. But it just snuck up on me, and I just cannot make myself do this running in the heat. Maybe when the fall comes around I will start looking at running again. Now I am just thinking about summer and sitting by the pool.

2 comments:

Jen said...

If you find a nice hot day and a pool, let me know. I want to use my new swimsuit.

Unknown said...

Just doing another one will be an accomplishment - especially since you've gone back and forth on whether or not to even sign up for this one. Plus, you've convinced others to run with you, so it will be a different atmosphere than you've had since your first race.