my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Slow and Steady

I finally made it back to the gym last night. I was feeling pretty good all day at work -- and I hadn't even taken any cold medicine in the afternoon. I didn't want to over work myself though, so I did a light 40 minutes of running and walking at a slow pace -- like 13 minute miles. Just something to get back in the hang of running. It was so hot at the gym and there were a lot of people there for a Friday evening. Guess I'm not the only one who doesn't have a life!


I also made it back to Bodypump this morning. I usually enjoy the Saturday morning class because it has a lot of grown-up women in it. And by that I mean, ladies in their 20s and 30s, and not the college cheerleader crowd that sometimes inhabits my gym and makes me feel inferior. But this morning I got there a little late and it was very packed. I had my choice between smashing into the very back row so people who wanted steps had to climb over me, or I could be in the front row with the instructor. Maybe in my glory BodyPump days I would have picked the first row, but I haven't been for almost 2 weeks, so I crammed into the back. I didn't do so well. I don't know if it was the short break, or the fact that I am still recooperating, but I had to take a lot of breaks and it really got my heart-rate up. I was a little worried about passing out at one point, and nobody I knew was there, which worried me even more. But I got through it.

I had intended on staying to do some cardio, but since I wasn't feeling well, I went home a took a two hour nap. And I ate something. That did the trick. I was able to go back to the gym this afternoon and get a pretty good run in. Since I am trying to get back to it slowly, I am allowing myself to run at a 12:30ish pace. I was able to keep that up for 10 minutes. I took a short break and did another 5 minutes. With walking breaks, I got 2.20 miles done in 30 minutes. Then I let myself go home.

Tonight -- I am going bowling. Does that count as a work out?!?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, did you mean the cheerleader types make you feel inferior, or just annoyed or maybe slightly sick???