my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Squeezing It In

Today I was supposed to work some crazy schedule: 9-11:30, 12:30-4 and 6-8. That is the worst possible combinations of times to work. It ruins your morning, afternoon and evening. I didn't think I'd be able to squeeze in a work out anywhere. Then I did some rearranging and decided to work 11-8. Much better! Generally, I have not been very good lately at working out in the morning. No matter how good of intentions I have, no matter how well I prepare (10 hours of sleep) I cannot peal myself out from under my blankets to get to the gym. But this morning I made myself get up at the same time I would have if I had to work at 9:00. And I made it to the gym. I did a combination of walking and running for 40 minutes and then I did some hard-core uphill walking (which burns more calories than anything else I ever do). It wasn't a great workout. But at least I got one squeezed in. And when I get off at 8:00 I will be able to get some things done around the house that I have been neglecting.
As I was running at a 12-minute-mile pace for 5 minutes off, 5 minutes on, I realized that I need to reasses my goals. I am just at a stalemate right now. I am improving a little, but I don't have any immediate plans for improvement. I need a goal! Obviously I still want to run that 5k at the end of March. But am I alright with doing it at a 12 minute-mile? Should I try to work up to doing that by the end of February and then see where I can go from there? I will think about it and create a training log -- that always makes me so happy! (Remember back in college when I would plan peoples' class schedules!!! It's like that.)

No comments: