my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Good Work

I wanted to skip BodyPump last night because I was still sore from Saturday's class. But I realized that I am busy every other time that it is offered this week until next Saturday. I really like to go twice a week -- so it had to be Tuesday evening. And even amid a blizzard, I went. It helped that Erin and her friend Lisa were going too. My own friends seem to have bailed on me with the Tuesday evening Bodypump. It used to be a routing thing - now Jennifer has an excuse every single week, and although Brandy is usually there, she isn't always. The nice thing about the snow was that not many people came to class. It was still tough though; my muscles haven't gotten back to their prime (before Christmas) days. Erin asked me yesterday how many calories I thought BodyPump burned. Honestly, I have no idea. For the most part, I am not sweating. But your heart-rate does get up there on squats and lunges and back. So next time I go I am going to wear my heart-rate monitor and see what kind of calories I am knocking off during that hour.

Monday evening I got in my best run ever. I ran one mile at 12:30 and then I ran at that same pace off and on for an entire hour. I'm sure I burned a lot of calroies that evening. And I felt really proud of myself. I even moved up to 32nd in my challenge.

I mentioned before that I am having trouble making myself use the other equipment at the gym. Well, here is my motivation to use the eliptical machine once in a while: it burns way more calories than running. When I run I have to take these slow walk breaks, and overall I end up burning less calories than I do when I go steady on the eliptical. So I'm going to take Jen's advice and do at least one other workout per week. Eliptical it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't exactly have an excuse every week. I've only missed a month, and we were on vacation and this week I'm sick, so you can't count that really. I will be there next week, maybe we can even ellipticize after the class.

Jen said...

Way to go on the run! Although, I would argue that the eliptical really burns more calories. It's hard to say, at least when you are walking or running you are using all of your weight and body, and on the eliptical you aren't as much. As long as your heart rate is up, all is well!
Keep up the good running!

Anonymous said...

I am with Jennifer, sorry I seem to "bail" but I was out of town and then I was wimp to the weather. But I am right there with you in spirit :) You know you can count on me to be there more often than not

Karrie said...

Hey Brandy's reading now!!!!