my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, February 15, 2008

A Pain in the...

Ovary???

Lately everytime I run I get this sharp pain right where I imagine my left ovary to be. The first time I noticed this pain was when I ran that 5k last October. It was really hard for me to go on at about mile 2 because of this pain. Then I didn't notice it again until December, but I basically took November off from running. Jennifer pointed out that it appears to be "cyclical". It happens the weekend after my "cycle". She was right on -- it happened again in January. In February it didn't seem to be too bad, but now it has happened three days in a row. This does not fit the pattern.

Wednesday I meant to workout, but I was lazy. I seriously laid on my couch and watched tv for like 3 hours. Then I went to bed at 9:30, telling myself I would get up early and go to the gym on Thursday. But, I wasn't able to fall asleep until about 11:00 anyway, so I didn't get up early on Thursday. And since I just had to get a workout in on Thursday, I had to cram it into a 3 hour lunch break I had. I made myself run 1.75 miles at the 12 minute/mile pace. I had to take a few breaks (especially when the aforementioned ovary pain began). But I guess I did it.

On Friday, I presented Curtis with his Valentine's Day gift: a membership to Gold's Gym. So we went together. I was supposed to run 2 miles. But I just couldn't do it. The ovary pain was just too much to bare. I even had a fan, and the gym was empty, and Curtis was running 2 miles right next to me. He suceeded; must be nice to not have ovaries. I ran about 1 mile, and then spent some time on the bike. I guess I will try again tomorrow, but it will be after BodyPump, and that's never easy.

1 comment:

Jen said...

My guess is that it is not your ovary that is hurting, but I'm not doctor... It could have to do with any foods you might have eaten. Maybe write down what you eat the days you are running and you might find a pattern. When I was having stomach pains while running (and usually severe, sharp pains in my lower abs on one side) I figured a lot of the pain had to do with dairy products. That's when I started drinking soy milk, which helped, but is also too expensive. Check out Runner's World's website, they might have some answers to the pain. (If it is your ovary, I would probably go to a doctor!)