my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Ann Said

Yesterday morning I went to BodyPower as I always do when I have a free Saturday. Again there weren't very many of us there: just me and Natalie, and Ann of course. This makes me nervous because I worry they will cancel the class if more people don't start coming. And also Ann feels like she can talk to me about my life and such. This is fine when it's the three of us, but then she uses this knowledge to think that we're good friends when Wednesday comes around and there are a lot of people. No matter, I am just thankful for the Saturday morning class and the ability to get three weight-lifting sessions in per week, or in the case of this week, a chance to make up for one of the evening sessions that I was not able to attend because of my crappy work schedule. It was a great Saturday morning class even though Ann decided to skip shoulders and do two tracks of abs instead. Her and Natalie thought that this was a great idea because they just can't get their abs flat. Well, me either, so I kinda figure what's the point. What I can do is have rock-hard awesome shoulders so let's work on that. But whatever. I really do like Ann. She somewhere in the 30s, maybe even 40 and tells stories like: I sat out on my deck last night with my husband and drank beer while watching my daughter catch fireflies. Whereas the other instructors have stories like: I sat out at the Brassrail last night and drank beer while I watched my friend get so plastered he beat someone up. I think that you know what I mean. Anyway, to the point of my story. Yesterday during the warm up she paid me one of the nicest compliments. Honestly, I don't take compliments well; I don't know how to respond. So the fact that I was busy working out meant that all I had to do was smile and say thanks. She said: Karrie, I have known you a long time (she really has... probably 5 years of BodyPumping) and you look great. You were beautiful then, and you're beautiful now, but you look perfectly fit and healthy. And that was it.

No comments: