my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Large Gains

I am a slacker. A blogging slacker, a healthy eating slacker and a workout slacker. It has been two and a half weeks since my Challenge with Curtis ended (remember I was down to three pounds). I am now back up to twelve. That is a nine pound gain in just two weeks. Over four pounds a week. If I continue at this rate I will be able to erase all the hard work that I have done over the last two years by the time Jennifer's wedding comes around. It must stop here. It's not that I haven't been working out. I just haven't been doing a lot of intense work, nor have I been getting my seven to eight hours of exercise in. I have had to work a few strange shifts and missed a BodyPower or two. But for the most part I have just been a slacker. I haven't worried about what I was eating and therefore let myself put whatever I wanted into my mouth. I have made six new recipes in the last two weeks (yay for my other goals!) but they haven't been healthy. The worst is my self-esteem. I can't believe that I have let this happen. I feel like my clothes aren't fitting the way they should and I feel like I can never buy new pants because I can never get to the next lower size. I have to take control.

Monday I tried Spinning again. Sure it worked my legs, but I wasn't sweating and I didn't really feel winded. I might try it one more time and take my heart rate monitor along. I know I don't have to be exhausted to get a good workout, but I just don't feel like I am working hard at all. Also, it really bothered my knee. I had to go light on squat-weights during BodyPower and it was difficult to do lunges. It appears to be fine 24 hours later (which makes me wonder if it is a muscle I am working or a ligament I am hurting). So when I do spinning I want to make sure I don't have to lift weights afterward. Sunday morning class here I come! I also want to try some position changes (like raising my seat) to see if that helps. Tonight I am going to Kickboxing again. That will be a great jump start to re-rev my metabolism.

I know those nine pounds are just temporary pounds. They're like a check engine light warning me to take action. But I can't put it off. I need to get back on track. And that means blogging more too!

No comments: