my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, August 3, 2009

Something New

I feel like I am in a rut. And at the same time I am not training for any races and therefore have no point of my exercise. I am close enough to my weight loss goal that I don't feel the need to work on that intensely. So what is left? I absolutely want to work on toning up my leg muscles. So I have decided that I need to quit doing all the kickboxing, which I am bored with anyway, and do more work on my legs. For that reason, I finally took a Spinning class again. Well, I should say the real reason I took it was because Erin agreed to take it with me. I am too scared to try new things like that alone. And sure it wasn't completely new to me, but I have never taken the evening class before and haven't taken Spinning in a long time. It was pretty good. I am thinking of doing it once a week and kickboxing once a week. Or maybe I should try some other classes all together. Or go back to step-climbing. Or quit the gym and start mountain climbing. But back to spinning...
Here are the pros:
1) It worked my legs.
2) I wasn't as tired so when it was time for BodyPower I had the energy to keep my weights high.
3) That in turn may have been a better workout for my upperbody because I used high weights, and can continue to increase my upperbody weights.
4) There were several people in the evening class that I know from BodyPower.
5) They are nice.

Here are the cons:
1) It is not nearly as intense as Kickboxing.
2) Therefore I don't burn as many calories.
3) It hurts my knee.
4) I don't want to not be able to walk someday.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You can always get a knee replaced. Plus, kickboxing is probably almost as strenuous (spelling?) on your knee with some of the moves. See, this is another reason you should move here because I would love to have someone to try new workouts with!