my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What's the Point?

Jennifer made a comment on my post yesterday about my frutration with weight loss. She thinks that I am too worried about the number on the scale and not noticing that my clothes fit better and therefore I must be improving. Obviously it is pretty arbitrary that I picked out this weight-goal and I won't stop until I see the scale read that number. Whenever I tell people that I want to lose 10 more pounds they look at me like I am crazy. Often people say: you don't need to lose anymore. I just assume that they are being nice, or that they're jealous; and who are they to decide what I want to do with my body? Still, people say this so often that I sometimes worry that I have become obsessed about that number. And reading back through my blog entries about my ups and downs makes even me think that it's not worth the hassle to get my weight down that low. BUT, it's not like I picked some crazy low number that I want to become; I'm not trying to be 120 pounds. I just want to fall in the healthy range for my height. I just want to have a normal BMI. I just want to be healthy. I would be happy with average. And according to the scale I am not there yet.

On the other hand, Jennifer is right. I wear medium or small shirts at almost all stores. I can fit into a size eight dress and last week I almost bought a pair of size ten jeans (money was the only thing holding me back). That was my ultimate goal in this entire weight loss lifestyle. I can run at speeds and distances that I never thought I would be able to do. I am getting stronger every day. I take classes at the gym all alone which I don't do anywhere else in my life (things alone). I enjoy working out and the feeling that it gives me. I am more confident; I am healthier; I make smarter choices about food or recognize when I don't. Maybe I have suceeded already.

So, what is the point?

No comments: