my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Good Progress

Yesterday's Running Goal: 3 miles
Accomplished: 3 miles in 35:06 (11:42 miles)
This was a difficult workout. It was rainy and windy and 49 degrees outside . Brandy met me for a late afternoon run, for which I am very grateful, because I never would have dragged myself outside alone. She did an excellent job of pushing me hard enough, without dragging me down the street. I actually had to stop for about 30 seconds of walking about half way through, but she made sure that I was right back to it. Even with the walking, and a stop to tie my shoe, and another brief stop to wait for traffic, I finished in 35 minutes. My goal was to do this three miles in less than 36 minutes, less than 35 next week and less than 34 on race day. It was a difficult 35 minutes, so I am not overwhelmed with assurance that next week will be any easier. But I do have a little more confidence that I might be able to do 34-ish minutes next week and 33 by race day. However, I will have to do the last one alone, and I need Brandy's motivation and encouragement to keep pushing myself. I still need to get my 4 mile (long run) scheduled for some day. I think that is key to making the three miles easier.

Also, my abs were in quite a bit of pain while running and afterward. Apparently butts n' guts did really work something. My lunch plans got altered slightly and we ended up eating at the mall. I chose Subway, because that's the best thing I have to control my portions and calories. Dinner was light as well. But I let myself buy mini-candy bars at Target last night and enjoyed at least five of them. But I have been craving chocolate forever. And after that run, I deserved some.

No comments: