my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, October 19, 2009

New Hopes

I worked out seven hours this last week, even though I felt like I was slacking. I guess the three hour start on Monday really helped out. Then I took my normal two classes on Wednesday, plus an interval run/weights on Saturday and finally yesterday's race. Still I ate whatever I wanted and the scale jumped up and down all week. It landed at 14 pounds this morning. Obviously I am not going to be where I need to be in three weeks for Jennifer's wedding. But I am going to make a good effort to work on it this week. I need to get back to writing down everything I eat. Starting tomorrow! Tonight I am going out for celebratory Margaritas with Shannon and some others. There has to be some benefit to putting myself through all that race trauma.

Tonight in Spinning there was a catastrophe. About five minutes before class was over we were all standing up sprinting (going as fast as we can) when this girl's foot strap broke. Her ankle twisted in the toe brace and immediately began swelling. She couldn't put any weight on it and eventually began crying. It scared us all. I don't need that happening to me. Hurting myself is one of my greatest fears. Like one of these times when I am running too fast, or in the rain, or off of curbs, I am going to fall and break something. But then I remember that that kind of thing only happens to Jennifer, so I am safe!

Now that my race is over I jumped right back to my high squat weights. I am sure that I will pay for that tomorrow, but it will be a good pain. I also remember, just in time, that I meant to use Larges for warm up. It is really helping to make shoulders easier and maybe even biceps. Do you notice that you don't warm up your triceps or chest. How are those supposed to ever get stronger?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew there was a reason I stopped going to the gym....
But really, aren't you surprised I never hurt myself in combat or kickboxing????

Karrie said...

You're safely on solid ground in kickboxing. You tend to hurt yourself when the ground isn't beneath you, or your feet aren't stable on it. Remember that year that you fell on the ice almost every week? I am surprised that you didn't hurt yourself more then! I am surprised that you've never dropped a weight on your head in BodyPump. Or perhaps fallen when we are running stairs (that's why we only did that once!)

Unknown said...

I don't know - I wouldn't put it past myself to trip over my own 2 feet on solid ground. I'm surprised I wasn't the girl who fell in the middle of class that one day.

Jen said...

One of the reasons she fell all the time that winter on the ice was those damn shoes. But remember that time you almost slipped in the La Paz parking lot? Or was that Jennifer? Or was that me? Oh and Jennifer only falls on the stairs at New Year's Eve parties!

Karrie said...

WAIT! That was me, and I DID fall on the ice at La Paz and got a concusion. Perhaps Jennifer's bad luck rubbed off on me!