my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, January 18, 2008

Make your Body Pump (Pump)



I try to get two sessions of weight lifting in a week. Usually I go to Body Pump every Tuesday evening. Then I try to sneak in another session, either on Fridays or Saturdays or Sundays. Well, there was a little confusion this week, and I thought Body Pump was earlier than it was. So I didn't go on Tuesday like normal. So I made myself go Thursday evening -- even though it was out of my comfort zone. I didn't get my usual spot on the right side of the room. I had to be on the left, which really threw off my neck alignment. But I got my friend Erin to come along. It was hard -- as I had warned her it would be. And she is probably really sore today. I remember that first Body Pump soreness. It's how I imagine I would feel if I was beaten up from head to toe. But it never feels that bad again. No matter how many weeks you take off; the initial soreness is always the worse. It gets better Erin -- please come back!

I really think weight lifting is just as important as cardio exercises. Mostly I know this because I read an article in Women's Health Magazine. It said: if you want to run your fastest mile of course you'll need to practice running, but you need to build up those leg muscles with weight training just as much. So since then, I try to go twice a week. I love BodyPump!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so sore for three days after that class! My legs were especially bad, I could hardly go up and down stairs. But I went back again last night and today I don't hurt at all! I must be getting stronger. :D

Karrie said...

Only three days? I am so happy that you went back... once I get home we can go together!!! Oh I am so happy!